Benefits of drinking Bone Broth (recipe included)
Updated: Jul 21, 2019
There are many benefits to drinking bone broth. Here are a few of the top reasons you should incorporate this broth into your daily diet:
1. Heals the Gut- restores your guts lining, fights against food sensitivities and supports growth of probiotics.
2. Joint Support- bone broth supplies the body with glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate and gelatin which support joint flexibility, connective tissue and cartilage restoration.
3. Hair, Skin and Nails- collagen helps form connective tissue enhancing the elasticity, moisture, smoothness and youthful appearance of skin. It also supports healthy hair and strong nails.
4. Energy Boost- the amino acids in bone broth enhance energy levels by helping convert glucose into energy.
5. Immunity- the nutrients in bone broth maintain a balanced bacterial environment in the GI tract and provides defence against autoimmune disease.
1 whole organic chicken
3 cups chopped beets, onions and carrots.
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp black pepper
4 tbsp himalayan sea salt
3 tbsp collagen powder (optional)
2 tbsp minced garlic
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Place the whole chicken in the slow cooker and surround with chopped beets, onions and carrots.
Add in the bay leaves, 1/2 the amount of seasonings and minced garlic.
Fill the slow cooker with filtered water until it covers the whole chicken by about an inch.
Cover and cook on low until the chicken is cooked (about 6 hours).
Once chicken is cooked, remove skin and meat (put aside) and keep the bones.
Add the chicken bones and cartilage back into the slow cooker, add the other 1/2 amount of seasonings and the collagen powder.
Cook on low heat for another 18-20 hours.
Strain broth through a fine mesh sieve, remove the chicken bones and vegetables.
Transfer to jars for storing in the fridge or freezer.
Once chilled, the broth should have a jelly like texture and have a layer of fat on top.
When ready to eat, heat up like soup.